This new episode is a sit down with Michael Inglis.
Michael is a sport, performance, and exercise psychologist and has been working in the mental health field since 1999. His own practice The Mind Room is a wellbeing and performance psychology practice that focuses on individual maximisation of potential as well as responding to clinical issues. He also has recently been appointed the role of sport psychologist at the North Melbourne Football Club in the AFL.
Diving right into the podcast, we had a great time talking to Michael about the sorts of techniques both athletes and everyday people alike can put in place to make their goals more achievable and realistic. Michael helped us to analyse some of our own thought processes and taught us how to apply mindfulness and visualisation practices to our own training. Hopefully listeners can take some of these strategies away and put them into place as well!
All aboard the Michael Inglis train peeps!
This podcast is supported by Atlanta Orchards. Atlanta Orchards are a family run company (Doc's family in fact) and provide quality apples to the state of Victoria, Australia. They would like to promote their new kanzi and greenstar apples. Greenstars, the first 100 per cent non-browning apples are a cross between a granny smith and a delbarestivale apple. The apples are green, sweet, juicy, have a thin skin and have the highest vitamin C content of any apple, which helps keep them naturally white for days after cutting. The kanzi is the number one apple sold in Europe and is bright red and crunchy, with a long shelf life — a cross between a gala and braeburn apple. So ask for Atlanta kanzi and greenstar apples in your local greengrocers Victoria wide.
This podcast is also brought to you by LocSam Solutions. LocSam Solutions is a boutique consulting and business support company focused on business consulting and commercial services. The key to their success has been through the application of a pragmatic approach combined with entrepreneurial spirit to achieve our clients’ outcomes. Their philosophy is simple: deliver well-defined, measurable business outcomes to their clients through the engagement of subject matter experts with real world experience. They can be found at www.locsamsolutions.com.au.
This podcast is also supported by No Days Off Supplements. NDO Supps is a newly formed company that aspires to build a trusted brand by having honesty, integrity and loyalty as the corner stones of their relationships with all their stakeholders. From suppliers to customers to sponsored athletes and individuals, they will work hard to ensure all receive the utmost attention and support and that harmonious relationships are mutually beneficial for all.
Use the code ADVFRADIO when purchasing to receive 10% off at www.ndosupps.com.
Finally this podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Check out this site for trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
Selected Links from the Episode:
- Rye FC
- Mental Health
- Sports Psychology
- North Melbourne Football Club (Kangaroos)
- Mind Room
- Bosco Verticale
- Carbon Footprint
- Arousal (psychology)
- Psychedelic Mushrooms
- Tommy’s Tribute. [6:40]
- Get to know Michael. [9:03]
- Mindset - Key things across to an athlete. Attitude. Clarity. [10:30]
- Goal-setting to goal-getting. Ceiling effect and super high goals. Everest analogy. Bigger goals and dream goals. [11:30]
- How to changing of mindset from a low ebb. Dealing with fear, anxiety, and self-value. [15:38]
- Empowering people to make that choice. [17:50]
- Tough confrontations with people. [18:50]
- Top-level sport, initially gifted athletes and psychological skills. [19:50]
- How to help a person (athlete) overcome doubt? Power of visualization, applied into Doc’s weightlifting comp, and the ‘mastery’ technique. [24:15]
- The Good, The Bad, & The Science. [33:40]
- Manny Pacquiao. Brazilians, and Carbon footprints.
- Mindfulness and a few examples: meditational mindfulness; performance mindfulness, and spot mindfulness. concentration. Consistency of present-mindedness. Focusing energy rather than ‘clearing’ the mind. Time-travel and Mac’s 30-day mindfulness experience. [46:00]
- Social media age and mindfulness. ‘Managing it’, its current, and potential impact to humanity. [51:40]
- Book Of Creep [56:35]
- ‘Arousal control’ rather than personality types. Jordan vs. Phelps. How much does music play a part in this? Considering types of sport, types of energy, and target ‘arousal point’ in a 0-100 scale. [58:00]
- Mac’s negative self-talk for arousing anger into effective weightlifting and how to deal with different kinds of pressure as an athlete. Focus on the process rather than the outcome. [1:02:45]
- Tom’s anxiety, living fear-free vs. avoidance. [1:07:30].
- 9 from 9 - ‘The Mile High Club’ story. [1:11:24]
- The Mind Room - www.themindroom.com.au [1:23:08]
- Rafael Nadal
- Peter Siddle
- Michael Gervais
- Ricky Gervais
- Manny Pacquiao
- Rocky Balboa
- Lleyton Hewitt
- Steph Curry
- Dell Curry
- Lebron James
- Michael Jordan
- Michael Phelps
- David Rigert