In the first of this 2-part conversation, we get to meet Cameron and John as they speak about their general experiences with powerlifting, Cameron being a world record breaker in the junior division and John being a high-level powerlifting and strength coach.
Then our crew talks about the sport of powerlifting and its divisions, inevitably touching on the performance-enhancing drugs as well as the ‘clean’ federations. John then shares his typical approach to programming for aspiring powerlifters and managing the stress on the central nervous system. He continues on to share about knowing your athlete on a personal and meaningful level so as to be most effective as a coach and as a team.
Further into the podcast, Cameron shares about how he handles rehab and recovery on a weekly routine, and then John elaborates a little on how athletes can get a little more serious and take their progress to the next level.
Our crew then touches a little more on nutrition: timing, quality, and cutting weight. Then also deal with the first impression of powerlifters being fat, strong guys just eating whatever and finally Cameron goes into his specifics in terms of how he handles himself in this regard.
We then go into Good, Bad and The Science!
Exciting stuff in here guys. We also learned a good deal from our guests. We hope you enjoy this first part!
This podcast is also brought to you by LocSam Solutions. LocSam Solutions is a boutique consulting and business support company focused on business consulting and commercial services. The key to their success has been through the application of a pragmatic approach combined with entrepreneurial spirit to achieve our clients’ outcomes. Their philosophy is simple: deliver well-defined, measurable business outcomes to their clients through the engagement of subject matter experts with real world experience. They can be found at www.locsamsolutions.com.au.
This podcast is also supported by No Days Off Supplements. NDO Supps is a newly formed company that aspires to build a trusted brand by having honesty, integrity and loyalty as the corner stones of their relationships with all their stakeholders. From suppliers to customers to sponsored athletes and individuals, they will work hard to ensure all receive the utmost attention and support and that harmonious relationships are mutually beneficial for all. Use the code ADVFRADIO when purchasing to receive 10% off at www.ndosupps.com.
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio.
Finally this podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Tommy’s Tribute (Metallica-style) [3:09]
- Who’s Cameron McKenzie? [5:03]
- Who’s John Tran? [6:10]
- Powerlifting and what its divisions are about [6:58]
- Drug-testing and staying clean. [7:50]
- A day in a powerlifting gym (programming) [13:30]
- Managing the CNS stress, observing sleep and nutrition, establishing a set point. [14:47]
- Adaptation capability of the human body [15:20]
- App usage [15:55]
- Getting to know your lifter, intuition, and adjusting your coaching for adaptation. [16:22]
- Body rehab/recovery for powerlifting? How much times in terms of weekly hours? [18:20]
- Taking it more seriously: taking yourself to the next level. Sleep, diet and nutrition. [19:20]
- Doughnuts and deadlifts: Nutrition, timing and composition, weight cuts. [23:20]
- Sports diet: how Cameron manages his macros for the day. Pre workout and post workout meals. [28:20]
- Packing in the cheat meals. [31:20]
- Experiences in handling serious injuries, recovery and rehab. [32:20]
- Good, Bad, and Science [41:00]
- Basketball, Golden State Warriors’ record-breaking season, and Kobe Bryant [41:36]
- Japan Earthquake at Kyushu [44:25]
- Mice with stuttering genes [48:02]
Selected Links from the Episode:
- World Championships Of Powerlifting
- City Strength (Sydney)
- Olympic Weightlifting
- Drug testing, doping
- International Powerlifting Federation (IPF)
- Australian Sports Anti-Doping Agency (ASADA)
- World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA)
- International Olympic Committee (IOC)
- Floor Press
- Unhealthy Diet
- Double-decker bus
- Powerlifting Athletes
- Dry Needling
- Steam Room
- Foam Rolling
- Trigger Point Release
- Healthy fats
- Sports Injuries
- Water Cut
- CNS Stress & overtraining
- Golden State Warriors
- Kumamoto earthquakes
- 1989 Newcastle quake
- Sergey Fedosienko
- Michael Jordan
- Kobe Bryant
- LeBron James