Lester Ho started the Training Geek to share his interest regarding the scientific concepts and mechanisms in training. His interest predominantly revolves around the sport of weightlifting where he is currently finishing up his PhD in Biomechanics on the snatch. Because of his research, he has not only picked up the sport and fallen in love with it, but it has also been the driving force behind the people he trains as a personal trainer and coach.
In this podcast, our crew kicks off with Lester sharing about his PhD on the snatch and how he got into weightlifting. Learn more about the differences between the snatch and the clean and jerk, and coaching the different types and personalities of weightlifters. Hear also on how to address tight shoulders, hips and ankles when training.
Great conversation with Lester. Enjoy guys!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best-sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Explore this site to check out all our trips, podcasts, blogs, special offers and more..
- Tommy’s tribute. [05:30]
- Lester talks about his PhD in the snatch. [08:00]
- Lester’s brief background on how he got into weightlifting. [09:40]
- What pushes you to weightlifting? [14:15]
- Why the snatch, over clean and jerk? [15:35]
- Are you still competing these days? [16:30]
- The moment Lester decided to proceed on coaching weightlifters. [19:10]
- Doc and Lester’s most exciting experiences in coaching athletes. [20:45]
- What specific things do you do to make your training fun? [25:30]
- Tommy and Doc’s feeling when they first step into the gym. [26:45]
- The importance of an approachable environment in training. [27:25]
- How do you deal with different people in the gym? [29:35]
- Differences between male and female weightlifters. [31:45]
- Lester’s coaching style on how to understand his athletes’ personality type. [33:00]
- As a coach, what will you do to fix someone who has a tight shoulder? [37:00]
- Best positions for someone who has very tight hips and ankles. [42:07]
- The Good, Bad and Science. [45:00]
- If you can be on one TV show, what would it be and why? [45:25]
- Doc, Tom and Lester share their viewpoints on performance-enhancing drugs. [50:20]
- Robert Kabbas
- Heavy metal
- South East Strength
- Ninja Warriors
- Spider web
- Huntsman spider
- Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Homo sapiens