Richard John Edward "Richie" Patterson is a weightlifting competitor for New Zealand.At the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi he won the silver medal in the men's 85 kg weightlifting event. He was New Zealand's flagbearer in the 2014 Commonwealth Games closing ceremony.
Richie starts with telling us about how he got into weightlifting, his background, and what his training regimen looks like. He then goes on to talk about the German weightlifting system, as well as the differences between Bulgarian and German training methods.
We then go to talk about Richie’s first international competition. He goes on to talk about how he responded to failure. He goes on to talk about some mental preparation before lifts, as well as on his experience in playing in regionals. He also talks about weightlifting in a global sense, as well as the risk and rewards that come with the use of performance enhancing drugs.
Another choice episode with a renowned weightlifter. There’s some good advice that you can take away from this conversation. Enjoy the episode, guys!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
True Pride is a wealth creation service who work with ambitious individuals & families looking to take control, worry less & get ahead. If you’re looking for a way to take control, worry less and get ahead when it comes to your money, True Pride is a wealth coaching business that will provide you with the tools you need to fast track this. Head to www.truepride.com.au/ADVF the joining fee of $297 when you book a call via the website.
Carve is a company that specializes in anything digital from building apps, designing a logo, automating your business down to setting up your next event. Carve is the partner to be when you want to have more time to focus on the things you love and scale your business. Get10 hours free on any project by heading to www.carve.ph/ADVF.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Website - http://www.functionalstrength.co.nz/
- Facebook - Richie Patterson
- Instagram - pattersonrichie
- Twitter - FSOLYMPIC
- Tommy’s tribute. [4:45]
- Richie shares his background and how he got his life into weightlifting. [06:40]
- Richie’s training look like. [10:43]
- The general training system of German weightlifting. [12:30]
- The difference of Bulgarian and German method of training. [13:50]
- Keeping up of the volume of training. [19:27]
- The smolov squatting program. [25:15]
- Richie’s first international competition. [26:15]
- What is your response when you got failed? [28:05]
- From being an athlete to coaching athlete. [32:30]
- Coming back to game. [36:22]
- His mental preparation before lifting weights. [38:19]
- How can you get the best of your athlete? [40:40]
- Playing on the regionals. [44:20]
- Weightlifting in the global sense. [47:02]
- The risk and reward of taking performance enhancement drugs. [48:30]
- What is next to Richie Patterson? [50:58]
- 6 from 6 [52:50]
- Where is your favorite travel destination? [53:15]
- What is your dream destination? [53:40]
- What books would you recommend? [54:10]
- Who is your biggest role model? [55:16]
- What are the things that you do in your downtime? [55:45]
- When you could invite three people to dinner, who would they be? [56:55]