Chris Voss is the Founder and CEO of the Black Swan Group Ltd and author of Never Split The Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It. Prior to 2008, Chris was the lead international kidnapping negotiator for the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Chris starts with telling us about his background. Doc comes in and asks Chris how he got into hostage negotiation. Chris then talks about the kind of psychology involved in his line of work, and they ask him why he’s good at negotiations.
The convo goes more in depth as Chris answers questions from both Doc and Tommy - how to keep a level head at the job, or even about his technique when it comes to negotiating with certain types of people.
Having Chris on the show was great, and he had so many interesting things to talk about. There’s lots of key points in here for you guys to take away. Enjoy!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best-sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Website - http://blackswanltd.com/
- Facebook - Chris Voss
- Twitter - @VossNegotiation
- YouTube - The Black Swan Group
- Tommy’s Tribute. [3:06]
- Chris shares his background. [5:03]
- Doc asks Chris how he got into hostage negotiation. [6:07]
- The “psychology” in negotiation. [8:17]
- Why Chris is good at his job. [10:01]
- Doc asks Chris what his days were like in the FBI. [11:28]
- Chris on the work-life balance in law enforcement . [13:52]
- Chris on meditation. [15:59]
- Tommy asks Chris how he kept a level head at his job. [17:10]
- Understanding you aren’t perfect & learning to rely on your team. [18:39]
- Scripted yet spontaneous negotiation. [21:03]
- Chris’ technique and how he makes a negotiation work. [22:15]
- Sponsor recap. [25:30]
- Show resumes. [27:13]
- Dealing with people who are prepped for negotiation. [27:49]
- Doc asks Chris if movie-esque situations have ever arisen during negotiations. [29:27]
- Gaining the upperhand in negotiations. [32:19]
- Dealing with people that want to die during negotiations. [34:26]
- Dismantling religious-ideology-motivated targets. [36:24]
- Is the language barrier problem during negotiations? [38:41]
- Hostage negotiation tactics translated into business application. [40:28]
- Getting people to know you to get you to know them. [42:52]
- 6 From 6. [44:28]
- What is Chris’ favorite travel destination? [44:43]
- What is Chris’ dream destination? [46:09]
- What books does Chris recommend? [46:58]
- What does Chris like to do during his free time? [47:28]
- Who does Chris look up to? [47:59]
- If Chris could invite 3 people to dinner, who would they be? [48:56]