Andrew Taylor Weir is an American novelist best known for his first published novel, The Martian. His book was later adapted into a film of the same name and directed by Ridley Scott. He received the John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer in 2016.
Andy starts with an introduction and his background then onto how Andy started out with being an author and first attempts to break into the scene. Andy talks about his previous works, then about finding success with his hit novel, The Martian.
They discuss the science behind the book, after which Andy talks about the pressure behind all the writing and fame. Later on we learn a little more about Andy’s work and plans after having finished his new book, Artemis.
This episode was a short one, but it was damned good! We wish we could have had Andy on the show for longer (what an amazing bloke!), so you guys will have to settle for all the goodness we’ve got for you in this one. Enjoy!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best-sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Tommy's Tribute. [5:01]
- Doc asks Andy to introduce himself & give his background. [7:26]
- Andy on failing his first attempts at being an author. [10:19]
- Andy on his previous literary works & finding success with The Martian. [13:14]
- The science behind the book. [18:48]
- Doc asks Andy about the pressure behind the writing. [21:50]
- Andy on his opinions on writing & ensuring unpredictability in his work. [27:09]
- Doc asks Andy about what he plans to do after having finished Artemis. [29:51]
- 6 From 6. [32:45]
- What is Andy’s favorite travel destination? [32:51]
- What is Andy’s dream travel destination? [33:12]
- What books does Andy recommend? [34:05]
- What does Andy like to do when he has free time? [35:05]
- Which authors does Andy look up to? [35:44]
- If Andy could invite 3 people to dinner, who would they be? [37:57]
- The Martian - Andy Weir
- Artemis - Andy Weir
- Casey and Andy - Andy Weir
- The Egg - Andy Weir
- I, Robot - Isaac Asimov
- Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
- Blade Runner