Simon Ho is a computational evolutionary biologist interested in molecular clocks, evolutionary rates, phylogenetic methods, phylogenomics, and ancient DNA. He is a professor at the School of Life and Environmental Sciences at the University of Sydney.
Simon tells us about his field and how he started out. He moves on to talk about humanity’s evolutionary past and explains genomes. They move on to talk about the great leap foward.
We talk about humanity’s evolutionary past and continued evolution. Doc brings up mixing tech with biology, finishing with de-extinction, how genes affect behavior and Simon’s research on the molecular clock.
Another great episode! It was great to have Simon and explore the field of evolutionary biology. Really enlightening with some splendid takeaways.
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best-sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Tommy's Tribute. [4:08]
- Doc asks Simon about his field & what got him into it. [6:05]
- Doc asks Simon about the evolutionary past of humanity. [7:41]
- Simon on genomes, genome data & different humans. [9:27]
- Neanderthals & their relation to different species in the past. [13:07]
- Doc asks Simon about the "great leap forward". [16:31]
- Tommy asks Simon about how intelligence relates to proliferation. [19:48]
- Doc asks Simon about how humans fast-tracked evolution in dogs. [22:57]
- Inbreeding & its effects on DNA. [25:01]
- A detailed look into humanity's evolutionary past. [26:36]
- Happiness levels between pre-agriculture vs. present day humans. [36:09]
- Scaling evolution to how fast tech & society changes at present. [39:06]
- Simon on humanity's continued evolution. [47:32]
- Fork in the road - incorporating tech into biology. [49:16]
- The boys on genome editing. [58:24]
- De-extinction - bringing back the Wooly Mammoth. [1:01:12]
- Tommy asks Simon about how genes affect behavior. [1:05:20]
- Simon on his research about the molecular clock. [1:09:23]
- 6 From 6. [1:10:55]
- What is Simon’s favorite travel destination? [1:11:30]
- What is Simon’s dream travel destination? [1:11:53]
- What books does Simon recommend? [1:13:23]
- What does Simon like to do when he has free time? [1:14:06]
- Who does Simon look up to? [1:14:47]
- If Simon could invite 3 people to dinner, who would they be? [1:15:31]
- The Sixth Extinction: An Unnatural History - Elizabeth Kolbert
- The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins
- Unweaving The Rainbow - Richard Dawkins