Rusty Young is an Australian-born writer known for his book, Marching Powder. Rusty was also recruited as a Program Director of the US government's Anti-Kidnapping Program in Colombia.
Rusty comes on and he talks about his new book, Colombiano. Doc gets into specifics and asks about what genre it would fall under, after which Rusty goes into more details of his book such as with child soldiers, a female’s perspective on things, and his research and stay in Colombia.
The boys lighten up the mood a bit by discussing their possible pornstar names right before throwing it back to Rusty’s work with the US government. A lot more interesting topics come up such as the experience of being in a war-torn country, Western culture, and even about the war on drugs and legalization.
Definitely a stellar podcast for all of you to tune in to. Lots of great points and stuff to take away. Give us a listen because we’re sure you guys will enjoy this one!
- Listen to it on iTunes.
- Listen to it on Stitcher.
- Download as an MP3 by right-clicking here and choosing "Save as."
This podcast is supported by Audible. Audible is home to the widest selection of digital audiobooks, including best-sellers, new releases, exclusives and much more. Listen anytime, anywhere on your tablet, mobile or desktop with our free app. Audible is offering listeners of AdventureFit Radio a free audiobook download with a free 30-day trial to give you the opportunity to check out their service. To download your free audiobook today go to audibletrial.com/advfradio.
This podcast is proudly supported by AdventureFit Travel. AdventureFit Travel is an adventure travel company for the fitness community. Head over to www.adventurefittravel.com to check out all our trips, all our blogs from our blogging team, special offers and more.
- Rusty on his new book, Colombiano. [6:06]
- Doc asks Rusty about the genre of his new book. [8:18]
- Writing about child soldiers & the female perspective. [9:18]
- Doc asks Rusty about the FARC. [12:15]
- The situation with children in Colombia. [14:17]
- Stories of & from child soldiers. [16:39]
- Tommy asks Rusty about indoctrination. [19:40]
- Doc asks Rusty about his research & stay in Colombia. [25:40]
- The story behind Pussy Young. [27:00]
- Pornstar names. [27:56]
- Rusty's previous work in Colombia. [28:56]
- Tommy asks Rusty about some of his experience with the US government. [32:34]
- Rusty on driving an armored vehicle. [34:13]
- Rusty on the best job he's ever had. [35:07]
- Stockholm Syndrome. [37:47]
- War turning people into nihilists. [38:24]
- Doc & Tommy ask Rusty what it's like to come back from a war-torn place. [40:03]
- Rusty on the people of Columbia. [43:44]
- Rusty on the possilibity of going back to Columbia. [47:14]
- Living a life and having to lie to people. [49:21]
- Doc asks Rusty about if Western culture is doing things right. [53:04]
- Subjective measures for happiness. [57:36]
- Tommy on his life issues causing him stress & anxiety. [59:24]
- Rusty asks Tommy about what makes him happy. [1:01:20]
- Rusty on meeting people that have inspired him. [1:03:23]
- Doc on his love for telling stories & how that relates to AdventureFit. [1:09:30]
- Rusty on his new documentary, The Wild Lands. [1:12:59]
- The war on drugs. [1:17:06]
- Doc asks Rusty if legalizing drugs is an answer. [1:21:13]
- 6 From 6. [1:29:55]
- What is Andrew’s favorite/dream travel destination? [1:30:25]
- What books does Andrew recommend? [1:30:48]
- What does Andrew like to do when he has free time? [1:31:10]
- Who does Andrew look up to? [1:31:32]
- If Andrew could invite 3 people to dinner, who would they be? [1:32:03]
- Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia - The FARC
- Elite Squad
- Dan Harris - 10% Happier
- Sebastian Junger - Tribe
- J. D. Salinger - The Catcher in the Rye